Monday, December 29, 2008

Cheers

Hello.

And welcome to my blog.

So I thought that the proper thing to do would be to introduce myself a bit.

This, of course, presupposes that someone might read this who doesn’t know me… which is (let’s face it) a pipe dream… but one that I’ll indulge in for at least a few sentences.

If pressed, I usually describe myself as an amalgam of awkwardness, misplaced anger, and social anxiety. I’m a misanthrope, yet am one semester away from being a social worker (hence the title of the blog). I’d consider myself to be both in the middle of the LGBT rights movement and an outlier in the community. I identify as gay, but am thinking of switching to queer, mostly because it’s a much more fun word to say. I’m a tad pretentious. Maybe a bit more than a tad, but it’s nice to pretend otherwise.

And, as you may have noticed, I can talk for a while about myself without actually revealing anything of any substance.

So why am I doing this? Well, a few reasons. I guess that I’m choosing to look at this as a collection of everything that's consuming my life right now... which I will no doubt look back on in 5 or 10 years (or 6 months, for all I know) with a combination of embarrassment and shame… but that fits in nicely with my masochistic streak, so it's a win-win.

I habitually post a lot of things to Facebook, but find my comments are often hampered by character space limits. As you’ll undoubtedly become aware, I tend to be wordy, so having space unencumbered by said limits appeals to me.

Plus, I like to rant, complain about things, and just generally bring down the collective moods of all who surround me. What better way is there to do that on a large scale than a public forum such as a blog, right?

And finally, at the end of the day, probably the biggest reason why I’m doing this is because a few friends think I’d be good at it, and I want them to quit bugging me.

So what can you, the reader, expect from this blog? If I had to guess, I'd say it will feature an extraordinary amount of depressing gay stuff, coupled with an odd assortment of other topics that happen to catch my eye. Additionally, I'm planning on using this space as an outlet for some of the theories and ideas that have been kicking around my head. If anything I write moves you to comment, please feel free. I'll try to respond to every comment in a timely manner. (And honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to actually read this, so I figure one comment every six months or so should be something I can handle.)

I will confess that I’m a little worried about how often I’ll be able to update this without it becoming yet another timesuck in my life… but what the hell?

That’s the spirit, right?

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to reading your blog. For the last several years I have thought regularly about how much I would love to hear your commentary on this or that. --Alyson

    ReplyDelete