Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In which I get preachy, endorse something with the word 'faggot' in it, introduce photos into the blog, and try to prove I have a sense of humor.

And I'm back. Just don't get used to such a quick turnaround... spring break helps. A lot. As does procrastination.

So much to discuss, so let's wade right in, shall we?

What should we start with... oh yeah... how about this?:





Evidently, this has been floating around the Internet over the last few days, but it somehow managed to elude my attention. This is an actual sign, made by an actual human being (for lack of a better term), at the Prop 8 hearings last week. Find more info on it here and here.

Equality California used the picture as part of a fundraising email they sent out this week, and I'm actually not quite sure how I feel about that. I mean, my first reaction to that photo isn't "oh, let me whip out my checkbook." Instead, it's "wow... the man who wrote that must be batshit insane." (Plus, I'm a little bitter at them anyway, because I called them today and no one ever called me back. Boo, queers without manners.) I guess I just really wish that more people who don't identify as some sort of queer (or queer ally... qually?) could see it.

I'll admit that I'm a bit on the fence as to how effective putting these sorts of images (i.e. the Phelps clan) front and center actually is. But I do think it's important for people to see how deeply some individuals hate... because I really don't think it registers with some (most?).

Those of us who identify as LGBT are so often labeled or presented as an "other." A large part of this, I think, is because we tend to be reactive as a movement, not proactive. We need to get our messages, our stories out there. And we need to do it first.

So my reaction right now is put this out there. As a newspaper ad, a commercial, a frakking billboard (how shocking would that sign look 50-feet wide?). Show people our "others." Help change the debate. Show people how much we're hated. Make them choose a side. If they're not with this nutbag... well, who are they with? They can stand on the same side as the guy who wrote that. Or they can stand with us. And we're much more fun. (Well, not me, per se. But us in general.) It's time for us to start shaping the debate. And not play catch-up anymore.

End preachy rant.

***

I find this absolutely hilarious.

Evidently, someone put up Red Cross flyers advertising a blood drive around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. The flyer lists qualifications for donating blood, such as having to be 17 years old, weigh at least 110 lbs, and so on. And at the end of the list of qualifications? It says "No Faggots."

I would encourage clicking the above link and watching the news story. I really think the reporter means well, but she seems to actually think this was a homophobic act. It seems beyond her that it might be a bunch of queers who did it, to protest the Red Cross's discriminatory policy banning gay men from donating blood. Oh wait... not all gay men. Just gay men who have sex.

I couldn't find a jpeg of the flyer from Minnesota, but here's one that a bunch of queer activists whipped up in Maine last year:



I think this is absolutely great. It's kind of subtle, but noticeable enough to make a splash. And it gets a story in the news that most people are clueless about.

***

The queers are coming for your children!!!!!

Not content to simply prohibit the gays from the sanctity and tax breaks of marriage, the religious right is now attempting to prevent us dirty queers from adopting. Some of you may know that Arkansas recently banned anyone "co-habitating outside of a valid marriage" from adopting kids. This, of course, makes it impossible for two queers in a loving, committed relationship to adopt a kid.

And this is catching on.

The Senate Judiciary Committee in Kentucky recently held a secret, clandestine meeting (no shit... it really was... read the article) passing similar legislation. It will now go to the full Senate. Where, because it's frakking Kentucky, it'll probably pass.

The article lays out some interesting figures. It's estimated that, if passed, the bill will cost Kentucky $5.3 million in its first year of implementation alone. Good thing that the economy's in such fantastic shape! I'm sure Kentucky will have no problem finding the money to cover such costs!

That was (obviously) sarcasm, but I actually am pretty sure where they'll find the money. Probably cutting the DSS budget (because wouldn't that just be poetic?) or welfare or some other program that people desperately need.

Also: it's estimated that 630 foster children would have to be removed from their current homes. But that's ok. I'm sure bouncing kids around from home to home has absolutely no effect on their emotional well-being. And I'm sure that Kentucky will have no problem finding hundreds of new foster parents. I'm sure of it. And evidently so are these legislators.

I know I use this expression a lot, but this is just mind-boggling to me. How irresponsible are these legislators? Not only, of course, are LGBT individuals just as capable as raising kids as the straights... but in the middle of an economic meltdown, these individuals are going to do something that's going to cost the state a great deal of money. Not to mention remove kids from loving foster homes, while at the same time limiting the number of people who could adopt them. All in the name of homophobia. Family values indeed.

***

I'm only including this because sometimes I feel the need to prove I have a sense of humor. It may become a bit of a running theme after some of my preachier postings.

***

Lastly, if you're around and want to show some support for the queers, there's going to be a press conference for the School Violence Prevention Act tomorrow in Raleigh. More details here. It'll be a smashing good time for all!

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. That sign if fucking nuts. I think you're right with the using of the sign as a fundraising tool. But, and I think you pretty much said this, it's a different story when the image is, for lack of a better word, exploited to educate others.

    And congrats on the sense of humor! I know what a big step that is for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete